Re: [Amps] New SB-200 owner

To: "Steve Thompson" <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] New SB-200 owner
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 10:47:14 -0400

> Peter Chadwick wrote:
>> Steve said:
>>
>>>I think they can do better linearity than that - the amps I built have
>>
>> all done so at 250-300W/tube. The STC data sheet for 4CX250B gives IMD
>> figures under the typical operating conditions. At 2kV, 325W pep output
>> they give IMD3 -30dBc and IMD5 -50dBc.<
>> They can do even better with some negative feedback. The KWS1 (which
>> didn't have feedback) claimed 35dB down, although they don't say if
>> that's relative to PEP or to tone. That's at 1kW input, which would align
>> with Steve's figures.
>> But you need a screen supply, and from an economy viewpoint, that can be
>> a trouble.
> It needn't be. If you stay simple, a dropper from the anode supply with
> an uncomplicated active shunt regulator costs about a pack of beer.
> Regulation is more than adequate. I begrudge wasting 30W as heat, but it
> saves a transformer.
>
> Steve

I wish Ian was back from holiday. He went thru this in much detail back when
he was designing his regulator boards.
However, dropping thru any high impedence is far from ideal be it via tubes,
resistors, a 6 pack regulator or zeners.
Im not going to get into this any further as Ive spent enough time when I
could be doing other more rewarding things already. Possibly the archives
have Ians notes.

Carl
KM1H