Re: [Amps] How about a Solid State MARS amp

To: schuetzen <chasm@texas.net>, Tom Rauch <w8ji@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] How about a Solid State MARS amp
From: kg7hf@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 11:18:57 +0000
Hi Chas,

Even removing the 160 meter requirement, it would make the ss easier, but still
the $1/w unattainable in either ss or tube.  Like Tom said, the filter board is
really going to add up in price.  Not only are the caps expensive (especially
for one off construction), you have to have pretty beefy relays to switch
in/out each desired filter.  I've been referenceing the TL-2.5k, and part of
the reason is that I am somewhat familiar with what is inside it.  Nobuki
Wakabayashi was very kind and helpful towards me when I embarked on a legal
limit ss amp.  My amp is not complete, and I am into it well over $2000.  While
it is operational, there are many necessary things that I have not put in which
the commercial version has.  Thermal protection, high/short swr protection,
automatic band switching, the list goes on.  On the converse side, I am running
a bit better power supply than thp, I'm using a switching power supply that has
a bit more voltage/current capability.

73's
Paul
From: schuetzen <chasm@texas.net>