Re: [Amps] How about a Solid State MARS amp

To: schuetzen <chasm@texas.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] How about a Solid State MARS amp
From: kg7hf@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 11:06:25 +0000
Hi Chaz,
Well, I think it is possible.  It has been done, there are pleanty of good
designs that are available.  I sugest that you might read the ALS-500 manual,
it says in the first paragraph that it covers the full frequency range from 1.5
to 21.6 Mhz, and looking at the front cover, that does seem to be the case.
It's not too hard to get 500 watts out of an FET these days.  Tokyo hipower is
producing a legal limit solid state amp, and I know for a fact that the design
they use can operate on 5 Mhz.   As a second fyi, I have an old 3-500z amp from
Amp Supply, and just playing around, I could tune it on 5 Mhz pertty easily by
selecting the 80 meter band select, and I could get about 900 watts into the
dummy load.

Are you trying to build one or more, or what is the end goal?

From: schuetzen <chasm@texas.net>