Re: [Amps] How about a Solid State MARS amp

To: amps@contesting.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] How about a Solid State MARS amp
From: kg7hf@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 18:02:43 +0000
Yes, I agree, the ALS600 would be better, I'm not advocating for the 500, what
I was really trying to get at was there are good and viable options already
available.  I was thinking the requirements were the ability to operate from a
12v battery.  Now that I understand better, the requirements are legal limit,
and 110v operations, with the financial requirement of $1/watt.

My feeling is that $1/watt requirement is going to be difficult to do in a
commercial venture either in tube or solid state, so the requiremetns are
flawed from the begining.  Throw price out of it, and now get the Tokyo
HiPower, the HL-2.5k (did it get type approved yet?) or look at the Dishtronix
Prometheus just to name a few easily found options.

I am not quite convinced that the Ameritron amps are "tuned" to ham bands.
From what I have seen of the solid state FET amps is that the input is
broadband matched, and the output if filtered using simple low pass filters for
each band. This is fairly evident in looking over the HL-2.5K schematics.  My
unfinished homebrew HL-2.5K will definately work out of band.  Looking at the
ALS500 and 600, it's likely this is the case there as well, and the amp could
easly be used on the mars bands.

One thing that I don't understand is the requirement for solid state.  If the
request is to run from 110v and produce legal limit from 1.5 - 30 mhz, why not
go tube and a switching power supply?  That could be done and be rugged and
light weight (probably not for $1/watt though).  The real weight is in the
power supply anyway with either solid state or tube.

Paul

Message: 8