Re: [Amps] Bird 1KW+ Load Resistor/possible danger !

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Bird 1KW+ Load Resistor/possible danger !
From: "Nils Petter Pedersen" <la7sl@online.no>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 21:03:14 +0100
Hi Carl !
Global warming may not affect you seriously in your lifetime...but it could
affect
your grandchildren.. that does not concern you ?
But to stay on topic:
It is true that PCB is not an acute health risk to humans. You will not die
tomorrow
unless you drink a substantial amount of the stuff.
What is less known is that PCB's are regularly contaminated with much more
toxic
agents such as dioxines. These are results of either the manufacturing
process or are made by
heating PCB's to high temperatures. An incident in Japan with PCB
contaminated
cooking oil left 1500 people seriously sick with multiple symptoms. It was
found that
PCB content in the oil was quite low,- but as the PCB's were heated a
chemical reaction
caused formation of extremely toxic substances.
When I worked in the labs of Philips electronics we had very strict routines
for handling
PCB contaminated materials. Not so much for the PCB's itself, but for the
very toxic
byproducts.
Just in case you are not correct on the assumption that PCB is not a health
risk,-
here are some of the symptoms you could expect:

these are common responses to PCB intoxication:
-wasting syndrome

-skin disorders

-hyperplasia of epithelial cells of the bile duct, gall bladder and urinary
tract

-lymphoid involution: thymic and splenic atrophy

-immunotoxicity

-liver damage

-porphyria

-endocrine and reproductive dysfunction

-teratogenic effects: kidney, cleft palate

-carcinogenic effects

Why take the risk ??  Is your attitude a heritage from the famous cowboy era
?  :-)

73's Peter

LA7SL