Re: [Amps] Bird 1KW+ Load Resistor/possible danger !

To: "Nils Petter Pedersen" <la7sl@online.no>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Bird 1KW+ Load Resistor/possible danger !
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 17:49:30 -0500
From: "Nils Petter Pedersen" <la7sl@online.no>
To: <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2007 3:03 PM

> Hi Carl !
> Global warming may not affect you seriously in your lifetime...but it
> could
> affect
> your grandchildren.. that does not concern you ?

It concerns me in a small way but since there is nothing that any humans can
do Im not going to brood over it. The whole solar system is in a warming
cycle.

> But to stay on topic:
> It is true that PCB is not an acute health risk to humans. You will not
> die
> tomorrow
> unless you drink a substantial amount of the stuff.

Yep

> What is less known is that PCB's are regularly contaminated with much more
> toxic
> agents such as dioxines. These are results of either the manufacturing
> process or are made by
> heating PCB's to high temperatures. An incident in Japan with PCB
> contaminated
> cooking oil left 1500 people seriously sick with multiple symptoms. It was
> found that
> PCB content in the oil was quite low,- but as the PCB's were heated a
> chemical reaction
> caused formation of extremely toxic substances.

I would hope that no hams are going to be substituting transformer oil for
trans fats <G>

> When I worked in the labs of Philips electronics we had very strict
> routines
> for handling
> PCB contaminated materials. Not so much for the PCB's itself, but for the
> very toxic
> byproducts.

Ive a friend who is 82 and in excellent health that worked as a power
company lineman for 44 years. All it takes to stay healthy is a little
common sense.

> Why take the risk ??  Is your attitude a heritage from the famous cowboy
> era

What attitude? All I said was to take adequate precautions and dont get your
knickers in a knot over a very short one time exposure. Europeans seem to
have a rather overblown excitability quotient with safety and enviromental
issues. Ive spent considerable time over there from Norway to the
Mediterranean.

I prefer to err on the side of safety but not take it to ridiculous levels.

Carl
KM1H