Re: [Amps] Winding large inductors

To: "Bob Maser" <bmaser@tampabay.rr.com>, <Amps@contesting.com>,"Dennis Ashworth" <K7FL@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Winding large inductors
From: "Roger" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 22:20:54 -0500

> According to the formula a coil 5" diameter, 10" long, and 35uH would have
> to have 26 turns.  This would be a coil with ±1/4" spacing between the
> turns.

Using 1/4" tubing with 1/4" spacing a second coil could be wound at the same
time, or you can hold a 1/4" thick piece of wood or plastic  between the
winding being laid down and the previous winding. It takes a little practice
but let the tubing run between the thumb and forefinger and under the heel
of the hand. The tubing is pressed down with the end of the thumb while the
forefinger holds the spacer between the previous winding and the tube.  It
helps if the form can be mounted in a manner that will allow it to be
rotated.

Except for the actual winding of the coil try not to let the tubing bend.
Any bending quickly causes work hardening in Copper and that makes it
difficult to keep it from springing away from the form after, or even while
winding. Take any irregularaties out at the point where the tube is laid
down on the form rather than prior to that point.

Good Luck

73

Roger (K8RI)