Re: [Amps] Winding large inductors

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Winding large inductors
From: ToddRoberts2001@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 01:00:01 EST
In a message dated 11/20/2007 4:23:05 PM Eastern Standard Time, K7FL@arrl.net
writes:
I need to construct a 35uH air inductor using .250 copper tubing. D
is around 5"; L = 10 inches. I can play with the dia & L a bit and
still be in the Q ballpark I desire.

Does the inductor have to be made using copper tubing? I have had very good
luck using solid copper ground wire for my large inductors. 4 AWG Ground Wire
is somewhere around $1+ a foot at Home Depot. The diameter of 4 AWG is a little
over .2". It is actually cheaper to buy than copper tubing.

You don't have to worry about it flattening when winding it into a coil shape
and it will make a pretty-looking coil if that's what you want.

73 Todd WD4NGG