Re: [Amps] Questions about Amps/Tubes/Design

To: "Lee Buller" <k0wa@swbell.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Questions about Amps/Tubes/Design
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 13:38:38 -0400
AL-82  Not a high volume seller since it was initially priced very close to
the AL-1200. Also has a reputation of doing nasties due to the above average
voltage used. Ive reoaired several that have since held together well.

Amp Supply. The LK-500 had several models and every model had its own
production changes. Weak link is the bandswitch configuration that allows it
to arc to the support hardware. Easy fix if you do it before it happens.
The LK-500ZC was the last and when equipped with the PD xfmr and vacuum
relay it is hard to beat. Ive had one since new.
Stay away from the No Tune versions unless you can get dirt cheap and then
redo as a tune type. They use the same variables as the SB-220, and many
Dentrons so they are not scarce. I often convert the NT's to 6M monobanders.

China is the only source of new production 3-500Z's for now. Grab a pair of
NOS Eimacs and use them once a year or so to keep fresh, the value will
never go down. Otherwise use what you can get until the sources dry up.

Ive never used a ceramic Russian tube so cant comment. However there seems
to be a readily available supply of near new Eimac 3CX800A7 and 8877 medical
varieties at fair prices. Ive had no problem getting full power out of ones
from honest people; they go into customer amps.

Carl
KM1H