Re: [Amps] Questions about Amps/Tubes/Design

To: "Gary Hinson" <Gary@isect.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Questions about Amps/Tubes/Design
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 20:14:21 -0400
Here is what I sent to another ZL Gary.

Replace the horrible nylon washers between the ceramic spacers and wafer
with a RF grade plastic or Teflon.

Build up the junction between the wafer and the spacer & insulators with Q
Dope or melted polystyrene. You want the switch solder lug to have
absolutely no path to the metal screw holding the sections together. All the
ones Ive had to repair or replace arc from the lug and thru the nylon.

Super glue or epoxy an insulating spacer between the 160M padder lug and the
ground next to it.

Complete new bandswitches are available thru Mouser for around $230 but
Electroswitch wont supply just a single wafer.

Its really not an "easy fix" as it takes time to remove and disassemble the
switch but even a partially eaten away wafer can be salvaged. You also have
the option of swapping sections.

Note that the Dentron MLA-2500 uses the identical switch and the single
wafer in the DTR-2000L is the same. Various 160-10M 7x series Alphas use a
similar switch. Ive mentioned those in case some "dead" ones are available
down there.

Of course any amp with a blown switch can be gutted and rebuilt for 6M! I
just finished an Alpha 76CA.

Carl
KM1H