Re: [Amps] liquid cooled Amplifier coolant recommendations

To: "Roger \(K8RI\)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>, "F. Veitch" <fletchv3@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] liquid cooled Amplifier coolant recommendations
From: "Chuck & Vicki Tifft" <cftifft@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 13:47:17 -0700
Roger,
I agree with most of what you said, except for the longevity of the DI or
Distilled. We used Disitlled rather DI, because we found the DI was too
aggressive. I installed and maintained both water cooled and Vapor Phased
cooled UHF TV transmitter up to 240KW for 25 years, and over that time, I
never saw the kind of failure rate in the flow system hardware that you
descibe. However, we regularly drained  and flushed our systems. About every
60 to 90 days on average. We monitored Ph levels more than conductivity,
because it was a bigger problem. If  the water was let go until it was
contaminated enough to have high conductivity, the water would generally
have  become very acidic, and I suppose you would see the kind of failures
you describe, but when the water was changed every 2 or 3 months, the system
parts lasted for a dozen years or more in fact most of the plumbing lasted
the life of the transmitter. Heat exchangers usually were worn thin by 10 to
15 years and had to be replaced, but the copper and brass components seemed
to hang in there.Now so far I am describing  the procedure for the Vapor
Phase systems. The water cooled systems were run longer because most of them
were a 50/50 mix with Glycol, because they were at elevations where is would
get pretty cold. The water cooled systems were much more friendly than the
steamers. The steamers were constantly distilling the water and making the
water more aggressive and picking up more impurities. The 50/50 mix water
systems were only changed about once per year, and their flow systems gave
very little trouble.either. The procedures we used were pretty much by the
book from Varian. And of course all this stuff ran 24/7 as well. If it
didn't there was lots of explaning to do. Biggest failure component we had
on the steamers was the rubber boot on the wehr, they would only last a
little more than 2 years, so you wanted to make sure you stayed ahead of
that, because it was a hect of a mess when they let go!
73's
Chuck
W6RD