Re: [Amps] B&W 852 Impedance Measurements

To: "AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] B&W 852 Impedance Measurements
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 16:15:57 -0700
On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 11:42:06 -0400, Bob Maser wrote:

>My measurements were made on a AADE unit which has always been very
>accurate.

First, I have no idea what an AADE unit is. Second, I don't know
what a B&W 852 is either, but since you're measuring inductance, I'm
guessing its a switched tapped inductor.

Third, all of your measurements are low by 25-35%, indicating the
possibility of a systemic error (like a voltmeter that's off by
30%).

Fourth, ALL measurements are subject to the limitations of the test
setup. What you're measuring are fairly low impedances at the
frequency of measurement -- on the order of 180 ohms -- so you
should get "in the ballpark" results from a reflection-based
analyzer (like most antenna analyzers). Perhaps try to borrow one of
these and see what it tells you.

73,

Jim K9YC