Re: [Amps] cooling chimney?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] cooling chimney?
From: Pat Barthelow <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 13:37:54 -0700

Regarding the cooling of the plate cap,  Eimac in their Applications notes show
how, even though the Coleman
Pyrex cylinders have no curve, that the air, as it encounters the top of the
tube,  curves anyway, and becomes a little turbulent, which I think is a good
thing, as it encounters the glass curve leading to the plate cooler.  As I
recall, the Drake L-4B  with 3-500Zs uses straight sided glass chimneys.  Their
Plate Cooler, is distinctively different than the classic horizontal fins.  But
the L-4 B is a well respected early amp design.  I have one, but it is in
storage right now, so I cant double check to see if the chimneys are straight
sided.   The 3-500Zs in it have had heavy use, for its whole life, and are the
originals  are still installed with a 1968 Date Code.
The other excellent robust enhancement for cooling, is a Muffin Cooling fan
sucking air from the outside of the cabinet just above the tubes.

Best,
Pat, AA6EG