Re: [Amps] Help with ARRL handbook design 4CX1000A 2m PA

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Help with ARRL handbook design 4CX1000A 2m PA
From: Paul Kelley N1BUG <paul.kelley.n1bug@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 06:55:43 -0400
Pete,

That does seem strange. Grid current should be close to zero for
this tube. I ran it with just a tiny bit of positive grid current
(about 0.1 milliamp) when working SSB. For CW or any mode not
requiring class AB1 for linearity you can run up to about 2 mA
positive grid current despite what the tube data sheet says. I have
run them that way for years on CW with no problems. Efficiency is
noticeably better with the higher grid current but you should be
seeing 55 to 60% as long as you are driving it to the point that
grid current just barely starts going positive. Note that some
negative grid current is typical at low drive levels, and I have
noted poorer efficiency when operated in that region. However your
efficiency is lower than it should be regardless.

The only changes I made from published design were in the input
matching circuit. Many builders have experienced problems arriving
at a suitable input match with the original circuit.

Can you check the approximate spacing between plates of the plate
tune capacitor and the output coupling capacitor? I not longer have
my amplifier but seem to recall both were in the 5 to 8 mm range. It
*may* be possible to arrive at some incorrect tuning that appears OK
but isn't.

Paul