[Amps] tube output power

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] tube output power
From: "John Lyles" <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 22:10:05 -0600
When I worked for BE, I designed the cavity amplifier that was put into
production in the FM3.5A and FM5A FM transmitters. The 'standard' tube used for
3 - 5 kW FMs that used tetrodes was the 4CX5000A, in RCA and other makes of
power amplifiers. George Badger of Eimac showed us their new shortened
4CX3500A, which broke the traditional wisdom, and it ran beautifully in the 5
kW model (actually 5.5 kW with 110% power type accepted). While this isn't 2 x
the dissipation rating, it does show that the tube chosen for a particular
power level depends a lot on other things like cathode emission, expected
lifetime, class of operation, screen dissipation, as well as plate dissipation.
We did built a triode transmitter as well, using the 3CX1500A7/8877, although
it was only running 1750 watts output. And the 8990/4CX20,000A was used in the
FM30. In no case am I aware that we actually built PAs that produced output
powers that were exceeding twice the plate dissipation. We were fairly
conservative, but we had a lot of customers and didn't want to fail in the
marketplace at the time.

John
K5PRO