Re: [Amps] tube output power

To: "Amps Reflector" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] tube output power
From: "Chuck & Vicki Tifft" <cftifft@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 11:23:03 -0700
You have to remember Bill Orr was talking about these tubes/Amps running in
Amateur Service ..Not Commercial, therefore there is a big differance how
far you can push these tubes in the two services. Most commercial broadcast
transmitters are designed with a great deal of head room.
But some are not.I can remember one of the 1st Gates FM transmitters I
maintained was a 5KW using a 4CX5000A. That transmitter went through them
far to quickly, so we changed the chimney out and switched to a 4CX10,000D
and it pretty much ran on that one tube the rest of it days.The 5000 should
have been fine, but it wasn't. Another transmitter I used to maintain was a
20 KW Gates on Channel 8..It used and RCA Tetrode and ran it way to hard and
used go through them like popcorn and usually on a weekend. They ran so hot
, that the ceramic usually failed. Of course trying to get management to buy
buy a bigger transmitter was like pounding you head against the wall. That
was 20 years ago and I am sure it is still running, bet the engineer there
now can't wait for Feb 17th,2009...My point is there is a big differance
when we are talking amateur use. Take a look at all the little amps built
with sweep tubes, man talk about abuse!!
W6RD