[Amps] Solid State Relays in Plate Supply Primary

To: <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Solid State Relays in Plate Supply Primary
From: "W7RY" <w7ry@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 20:51:01 -0700
Since there is nothing in the current archives... What are the pros and cons on
using solid state relays for switching on the plate supply transformer of a
1500 watt tube type linear amplifier?

What is the voltage drop across them? I'm going to use two of them, one for
applying 240 volts and the other for shorting out the step start resistor. I
see that in Jerry's K8RA project in the handbook, he uses four relays instead
of two. Any idea why?

I know that the relays are quiet and provide for immediate shutdown of the HV
if an arc occurs but has anyone come into the shack and found the high voltage
running on their amplifier because a relay shorted from of a voltage surge on
the AC line?

Thanks and 73
Jim W7RY