Re: [Amps] Solid State Relays in Plate Supply Primary

To: Amps reflector <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Solid State Relays in Plate Supply Primary
From: Vic K2VCO <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 07:58:48 -0700
Roger (K8RI) wrote:

> I've used many of them in industrial applications with outstanding
> results for reliability and function. How they'd work around RF I don't
> know.

You need to keep RF out of them! I had one controlling a pair of Astron
70 amp 12v supplies for an 800 watt solid state amplifier, and the
supplies mysteriously blew fuses when transmitting. The reason was that
RF was causing the relay to partially open, reducing the voltage to the
regulator, which caused it to draw more current. I had to filter both
the control circuit and the switched circuit of the relay to fix this.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco