Re: [RFI] [Amps] So-Called Utility "Smart Meters"

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>, "boatanchors@mailman.qth.net" <boatanchors@mailman.qth.net>, "Old Tube Radios" <glowbugs@piobaire.mines.uidaho.edu>, "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] [Amps] So-Called Utility "Smart Meters"
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 10:03:53 -0700
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 12:01:16 -0400, EP Swynar wrote:

>Any sage words from the ranks of the knowledgeable...?

I suggest that you do what I have done for at least 15 years for
both my power and heating fuel -- generate a spreadsheet with the
information that comes on your monthly bill and study the trends.
You want to keep track of the kWh (kilowatt-hours) of power that you
use per month, and then do the math in the spreadsheet to break that
down to kWh per day. Pull out your old bills and enter that
information. Plot it in one or more graphs. Now, if anything
changes, you'll know.

BTW -- I've also done this for the last ten years or so with the
cars I drive. By learning to carefully drive in a manner that uses
less gas, I've improved my mileage by nearly 20%. Which goes toward
paying for that new K3. :)

73,

Jim K9YC