Re: [Amps] So-Called Utility "Smart Meters"

To: EP Swynar <gswynar@durham.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] So-Called Utility "Smart Meters"
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 23:48:06 -0400
Please don't cross post between groups.

The so called "smart meters" will eventually be necessary to run the
grid to capacity along with the use of "smart appliances", but for the
time being companies installing them may just bill based on the time of
demand. They may be like the company we have and go on an adjusted rate
based on how much you use, rather than when.  When used with the big
users like Air Conditioning, they could remotely turn the thermostat
back a couple of degrees and give preferential rates to those who
subscribe.

As Jim mentioned, it's always a good thing to keep track of your usage
and trends. It not only keeps track of the billing, but of any changes
you make to reduce that usage with conservation and how effective they
may be.

The possible problem with the smart meter is how it communicates with
the  power company.  Some were using the so called, Broad band over
Power Lines, or BPL .  Many of the original versions used a wide range
of frequencies including the ham bands which they also had touted for
communications. That aspect of BPL appears to be dead in the water, or
we can hope so although they made great strides in quieting it.

Good Luck,

Roger (K8RI)