Re: [Amps] So-Called Utility "Smart Meters"

To: Anthony Rick <asrick@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] So-Called Utility "Smart Meters"
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 17:40:04 -0400
Anthony Rick wrote:
>  I don't think these meters provide constant transmission of data.  From my

"Smart meters" and remote reading meters aren't quite the same although
the smart ones can be read remotely.
Typically the smart ones can be read from the office, or some central
location if the utility is so equipped.   Older ones (they have existed
on one form or another for a long time) ran on VLF via the power line.
Data transmissions are pulsed and periodic.  They may be requested, or
blind transmissions.  BPL uses the power lines as a transmission line
with a wide range of HF frequencies.  Ham bands are usually notched out.
VLF doesn't bother any one and appears to be pretty much immune to
outside interference,  although it is limited in bandwidth.

As to amps and smart meters: Even when running the legal limit from both
stations (house and shop) on SSB or CW the duty cycle is such that the
meter isn't going to notice a great increase in usage over any given
period. Each of my computers, (Athlon X2 6000s and an FX (IE 5600)
consume more power per hour than both stations combined as they are
pretty much a constant 200 watts (give or take a bit) Some video cards
for gaming such as the 3870 X 2 with 1 Gig run more than that at idle.
The air outlet feels like the hot air duct from my furnace. That thing
blows a *lot* of hot air. Of course there are those who would say the
same about my amps and antennas. <:-))
> understanding, a reading is sent after a data request is made.  It makes it
> possible for a meter reading to be made from a vehicle in front of the
> premises and replaces the necessity for utility workers to enter the house.
> At least this is how it works in Madison WI.

I've never seen meters in a house. Here they are mounted outside at the
service entrance.  The only interior meters I've ever seen were water
meters and we have external sensors that allow them to read the meter
from near the service entrance.
> AR
73

Roger (K8RI)