Re: [Amps] SB-220 saga continues

To: <ke1fo@arrl.net>, <amps@contesting.com>, "YCCC" <yccc@yccc.org>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-220 saga continues
From: "W7RY" <w7ry@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 20:42:18 -0800
Sounds like the relay in the amp is energizing when you turn on the amp. My
guess is that your relay contacts in your transceiver are stuck (shorted).

Unplug the PTT cable from the amp or the rig. I but it works fine then. If so,
you need to repair your rig. AND add a PTT buffer between the amp and the rig
so it does not happen again.

The PTT line of the SB220 has a .01 or .02 uF cap across the plug. When the
transceiver keys the amp, the relay in the rig must short out the .02 uF cap
and this causes a pretty big arc across the relay contacts of the rig.

73

Jim W7RY