Re: [Amps] QRO Heat management

To: Carl <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] QRO Heat management
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:33:16 -0500
Carl wrote:
> What many also forget or are too young to realize is that many of the
> older amps were built when the power was FCC regulated as 1000W CW and
> 2000W PEP SSB INPUT. Those full legal power amps had a CW/SSB switch for

Ahhh... I don't remember any PEP limit on input. Just 1KW average based
on a plate current meter with a 1/4 second time constant.
My voice characteristics are such that I used to get over 2KW PEP output
with the old 1KW average input which included the drive power in a GG amp.
> that reason and I guess a few hams actually used them (;

I always used them. Tune in the tune position and go full bore for
operation.  The current and voltage ratios were such that the amp was
properly tuned when switching to the high power position. Many hams
couldn't get past the idea of tunning up at the power they planned on
running to get maximum output but many old amps had such poor voltage
regulation (such as the MLA2500) that you had several hundred watts more
PEP out when running full bore after tuning in the tun position than you
did when tuning up in the full bore position. I mentioned the 2500 as I
had several and they all put out at least 200 watts more when tuned in
the tune position and then switching to the full power position.  That
means they were also tuned properly and running more efficiently at the
full power position.

73

Roger (K8RI)