Re: [Amps] QRO Heat management

To: "Roger \(K8RI\)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] QRO Heat management
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 23:09:59 -0500
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
To: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Cc: "Rob Atkinson" <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>; <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2008 9:36 PM

> Carl wrote:
>> Ahhhh yerself.
>>
>> I take it then that you have never bothered to read the SB-220 front
>> panel or the tuneup procedure in the manual.
>>
>> Or the NCL-2000, SR-2000, Hunter Bandit 2000's, and many others.
>>
>> The meter time constant was put in the rules at the request of
>> National, Hallicrafters and others as well as getting an OK from the
>> FCC that advertising a 2KW PEP amp was OK by them with the above
>> caveat. I was at National when they formally asked the FCC for an
>> interpetation.
> But prior to the clarification the reg was only 1 KW average input.
> Even with the 1/4 second time constant I don't remember the reg
> stating any PEP limit.

They never came out that way to the general public. It was implied by
the time constant and average 60% plate efficiency. That was in the
letter they sent back.

>> It didnt require rocket science to realize that if the proper
>> voltages were selected that going from CW to SSB positions  would
>> double the power and maintain the same plate load impedance. In order
>> to save a few bucks the xfmr iron was the limiting factor anyway for
>> most products and the manuals stressed using the Tune or CW position
>> for tune up.
>>
> Right.
>> The MLA-2500 is a fine amp once owners realized the 8875's were only
>> rated at 300W dissipation and not 400 as with the 8874. If the input
>> resistor was not cut out and the amp run per instructions the tubes
>> last a long time. I use one as the amp for the 2nd station. Its fine
>> at 1000W in the button out position (labeled differently between
>> versions) and the regulation is as good as any other comparable amp.
> I ran mine at "tilt" and never had a moments problem with either of
> them.
> OTOH, although it had nothing to do with the power level, I had a low
> voltage cap (bout 5/8" diameter and maybe an inch long) in the
> DTR-2000 blow and I do mean blow.  It sounded like a 12 gage had been
> fired right next to me.  The metal can hit the inside cover so hard it
> looked like a 38 wadd cutter that had hit a steel plate. Mushroomed
> out quite nicely.

The DTR-2000 is possibly the most poorly designed QRO amp ever sold by a
real company.
Just for starters; how could anyone market an 8877 amp without a grid
current meter and no protection circuitry? And the list goes on.
OTOH Ive built up several for 6M at the stock power level and with a
3800VDC supply. Needless to say a lot of work was necessary to keep all
the smoke inside the coax.

>> Its mainly incompetent users that gave that amp a bad name while
>> others praised it. It was a popular DXpedition amp, mine had spent
>> years traveling around the world on its original set of tubes.
>>
> When I finally moved on mine were still putting out the rated output.
> Sure was different picking up that MLA-2500 and then lifting an Alpha
> 76 <:-)) or an HT-33B

Ive a 76PA on the shelf and didnt notice it being that heavy but I work
out daily with weights. The Alpha 77 and HT33A/B is a lot heavier.

Or the HT-9 I just picked up. 100W out and only 150# !
I grunted lifting that out of the trunk! And got my weight lifting son
to help get it up the stairs and then down into the basement.

Carl
KM1H