Re: [Amps] Linear Amps

To: "EP Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Linear Amps
From: "Tom Haavisto" <kamham69@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 14:01:28 -0500
> I was "...mentally musing" in an off-site e-mail with another Ham about the
> fact that Ham Radio has really lost something invaluable in that we have
> seemingly NOT replaced icons like Lew McCoy, Doug DeMaw, or Bill Orr...
>
> Remember those three...?

I find in interesting how folks who cannot "roll their own amp" are
not real hams.  I remember when the phrase was "folks who cannot roll
their own rig are not real hams".  And yet, 30 years later, I am still
here.

Anyway - I have great respect and admiration for those who can take a
pile of parts and construct an amplifier from same.  However, not all
of us have the ability or interest to do metal work, start
constructing tank coils, etc.  To make it into a work of art is
nothing short of amazing.  However, there is more to the hobby that
being able to build an amp from scratch.  That is what makes this
hobby great - the diversity of the folks who have joined (and
hopefully, continue to join) our ranks.

As I use my new (kit) radio - a K3, I realize there is no way I could
ever construct construct such a piece of equipment from scratch.  I
attended a seminar put on by Alpha, and he too commented that their
amps are now chock full of microprocessors and software - all in an
effort to save the tube.  I cannot think of too many home-brewers that
have built (or could build) an amp along these lines.

I do build antennas, and various other items for the station.  Some
stuff is scrounged, some stuff is bought new.  As time goes on, folks
who can build stuff from scratch are slowly going away.  Is the hobby
better off or worse?  Am I not a real ham?

With all the new, and GREAT stuff that is now available, I feel the
future of ham radio is bright indeed.  Not being able to build an amp
from scratch aside...

Now, back to sorting out what I need to make my AL-1500 QSK capable...

Tom - VE3CX