Re: [Amps] Linear Amps

Subject: Re: [Amps] Linear Amps
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 21:14:13 -0500
DAVE WHITE wrote:
> <snip>
>
> I think the original point was that there's a difference between those of us
> who build stuff (any stuff) and what appears to be a generation of appliance
> operators.

That's a given, but does it make a ham any better at emergency
communications?  Does it the ham a better character?
Amateur Radio is a diverse hobby/service with a vast array of
capabilities and services to offer the community and nation.

> I once spoke to a guy in Ukraine - I forget his callsign - who was part of
> the ongoing maintenance crew at Chernobyl (brave lad!) who, in his spare
> time, built his own computer from the raw TTL, and then proceeded to write
> his own operating system for it (!!!!!!!)  WOW.  Respect!  Now THAT'S a home
> brewer.

 I didn't homebrew it although but my first class on computer design was
programming in machine language (Hex, not assembler) with the program
and date input from a numeric keypad.  The final for that class was a 50
question multiple choice AND a program.  The program (as I wrote it)
took 5 pages, double sided with one instruction per line. We were not
allowed to use "gotos", but JSRs were used with values saved and
retrieved from the stack.   One guy quit the course half way through the
final.

I've built amps, tuners, and many an antenna and there are some amps I'd
still like to build. My station now is mostly commercial and I have no
desire to build small *stuff*

> I just think it's a shame that so many folks have no interest in keeping
> alive what was once an essential part of ham radio, and what set us aside as
> a group.  Also - like those who refuse to learn/use CW (No! I don't want to
> start THAT war again) I just think it's a shame that they're missing out on
> so much fun, that's all.

That I enjoy building, studying circuit design, and operating CW may
make me a more balanced ham but I don't think it makes me any better
than the guy who purchases a rice box and spends hours handling
emergency traffic or manning a rescue shelter.  Yes, I've spent many
hours in rescue shelters, particularly after the big derailment and
chemical spill up here some years back.  But I'm getting a bit long in
the tooth for those kinds of hours, my climbing is a bit limited, my
eyesight isn't all that great at working on PC boards, and my CW speed
isn't what it used to be. I used to hit well over 20 with a straight key
and 40 with an electronic.  That was after blowing the CW test for the
General so bad I though I'd never make it.  When I took the Extra the 20
wpm was like listening to some one talk.   Now days, for much of it I
have to sit back and let the younger guys do it.  Those who are good
communicators fill a very important slot in amateur radio and give us
one of our main reasons for the support we receive from the government.

Building and tinkering is just one of the many facets presented by ham
radio for those interested.  It's something I enjoy, but there are a lot
of things I enjoy.

What bothers me is the lack of technical knowledge required now days.
One of the instructors for our last club classes (Tech and General) was
remarking that many of the students were having a problem understanding
a simple, series circuit.
> There's something in this hobby for everyone, but I just feel that home brew
> enthusiasts are a bit of a dying breed. And it's a shame.

Possibly we *may* be a diminishing breed, but I think homebrewing is
still alive. I said I wasn't building much any more, but I'm part way
through building a 335 MPH "hot rod" with a 300 HP, 540 cu in 6 cylinder
engine and it's capable of aerobatics. If I ever get it done it's going
to have a complete ham station mounted in it.

BTW, our club, the Midland Amateur Radio club (MARC) has had many
building projects that run the gauntlet from simple transmitters to PIC
controllers.  We also have ARES classes/meetings just prior to the
regular club meetings.

73

Roger (K8RI)