Re: [Amps] switchable zener cathode bias

To: "Steve Flood" <kk7uv@bresnan.net>, <amps@contesting.com>, <rfamplifiers@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] switchable zener cathode bias
From: Karl-Arne Markström <sm0aom@telia.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 10:33:13 +0100
The easiest way would be to use a single-pole relay or switch contact to
parallel the lower-voltage Zener with the higher-voltage one.

When in circuit, the lower-voltage Zener will go into conduction before the
higher-voltage, which then will become "invisible" in the circuit.

I consider this being the safest method, as it positively prevents exceeding
the collector-base breakdown voltage of the transistor when there is no
Zener in the circuit, which may damage it.

Another way would be to provide a third Zener across the collector and
emitter of the transistor, with a voltage rating sufficiently low to prevent
collector-base breakdown.

73/

Karl-Arne
SM0AOM