Re: [Amps] Glitch Resistor

To: "Bob Maser" <bmaser@tampabay.rr.com>, "AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Glitch Resistor
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 11:33:41 -0500
> I'm having a hard time finding a 50 ohm 50W resistor for a glitch resistor
> for my 4CX1500B amp.

Bob,

For about $3.00 ea., Mouser sells new Dale/Vishay silicone enamel power
resistors.  The P/N is HL05006Z50R00JJ:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuQ5%2fsBR7SoAr9dHZ%2f8ls%2fIKEDr6kvpGxM%3d

Vishay also offers a non-inductive unit under P/N NHL05006Z50R00JJ.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuQ5%2fsBR7SoAjGAWi4MspmHrUMBb6BPqnE%3d

Honeywell, Ohmite and others sell similar product.  As I recall, the
Honeywell units are re-branded from Clarostat and use identical P/Ns.

I would stay away from the chassis-mounted units with integral heatsink.
There's likely not enough breakdown voltage needed between the resistor and
outer aluminum casting for direct panel mounting.

In my Alpha 70V, I used a pair of 25-ohm @ 25W resistors in series and
folded the pair into a "U" shape due to cabinet spacing restrictions.  The
resistors are elevated on a pair of 1-inch glazed ceramic standoffs.

When purchased new, the resistors should come with angled aluminum or steel
mounding brackets.  For use with HV, the brackets should be screwed onto the
ceramic stand-off insulators, using fiber or Nylon washers between surfaces.
The fiber washers will keep the ceramic from cracking under tightening.

Paul, W9AC