Re: [Amps] Glitch Resistor

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Glitch Resistor
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 12:06:47 +0000
Hsu wrote:
>Hi,
>  Many years past.but why not use semiconductor device to protect your tube?
>many modern  flash light in camera with muliti-times flash funtion,
>   I think we can use similar schematic in  our HV power supply.But  the
> HV device(more than 5000V even higher ,thyristor or SCR) is very hard to
>get,manybe we  have to put  many
> SCRs  in series.It'll very fast to cut the HV power supply.

That is "the next level" of protection, beyond the simple glitch
resistor and fuse/breaker. There are some classic papers by RCA
involving thyratron or ignitron tubes, and also a modern thyristor
design by OE5JFL:

http://www.qsl.net/oe5jfl/flashover.htm

OE5JFL uses 1000V thyristors in series, triggered by opto-couplers. The
thyristor stack "crowbars" the smoothing capacitor through an inductor
and a resistor, while at the same time a solid state relay shuts off the
mains supply. Almost no destructive energy gets through to the tube or
the RF components.

Many European moonbouncers are using this circuit to protect expensive
UHF TV transmitting tubes (which are now obsolete and maybe could not be
replaced at any price). Siemens data sheets for these tubes specify that
if the B+ supply is short-circuited by piece of 3A fuse wire, the supply
must shut down WITHOUT blowing the fuse! The OE5JFL circuit will do
that.

Data for older tubes specify that the B+ can be shorted onto a piece of
cigarette foil without burning a hole in it... but nobody tries that any
more because cigarette foil is dangerous to handle  :-)

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek