Re: [Amps] Plate Choke Values

To: "'Eddy Swynar'" <gswynar@durham.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Plate Choke Values
From: "Alex Eban" <alexeban@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 15:29:24 +0200
Merry meet you all:
Based on the past experience we had when working on high power transmitters
at Elisra :
The impedance of the choke should be about 5 to 10 times the design load
impedance of the stage:
That calls for about 15 kilo ohms for a typical 1kW amplifier
 That would translate to about 1.3mH for 1.8MHz operation.
The main issue however is the propensity for parasitic series resonances in
such large chokes: not only is it getting lower in frequency as the choke
get higher in value, it also gets more difficult to place it between
operating  bands, that got quite crowded with the WARC bands in.
Our solution in the end was to switch over to series feed: band switched
coils , parallel tuning and link coupling for the output.
It's not so bad as it sounds: once set up, they're set forever and quite
wide band. You might need only one or two coils to cover 21 or even 18 MHz
to 30 MHz.
It seems it's easier to design and build such a tank circuit than a really
foolproof plate choke.

Alex    4Z5KS