Re: [Amps] An Extra Thank You!

To: "'Roger'" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] An Extra Thank You!
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 17:40:07 -0500
I think this is getting done kind of backwards. I believe the correct way to
figure efficiency is power output minus drive power that is fed thru,
divided by plate input power (plate current times plate volts).

2200 x .375  = 825 watts plate input power.
Drive power   = 20 watts.
Output power = 450 watts.

Without subtracting the feed thru drive power the efficiency would look like
450/825 = 54.5%.
Subtracting the feed thru drive power it would be 430/825 = 52.1%.

But as I said before 100% of the drive power does not get fed thru as part
of it is consumed driving the grid in the tube. A rough estimate of consumed
drive power is around 30%. So in this case we would be left with about 14
watts of feed thru power.

So efficiency would then be (450 - 14) 436/825 = 52.85%.
This doesn't look like much of a difference but when you get into higher
drive power it makes a bigger difference in the overall efficiency
calculation.

In a grounded grid amplifier the driver is in series with the amplifier tube
so part of the drive power is coupled thru the amplifier tube.

73
Gary  K4FMX