Re: [Amps] HV PS transformer

To: Raymond Mack <ray.mack@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV PS transformer
From: Paul Decker <kg7hf@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 16:41:07 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Ray,

Interesting, I don't know if he has a kit for this or not, I haven't found
much.   It is pretty basic design and the parts are completely un-obtainable so
I've had to do quite a bit of rework.

At first glance, the transformer seemed very unsafe to me, but it's not my area
of expertise by any means.   One change that I was thinking about doing was to
use RG-58 coax cable rather than the 3/8 ID pipe.  If I could wrap the coax
through the core material, all I would then need to do is "short" the braids to
each other reduce the number of primary turns.    This technique is more in
line with an RF transformer anyway and the RG58 coax is rated at 1900V,  but I
still think you would be hard pressed to get a 10:1 turns ratio through those
small inductors.

I'm going to do some experiments with my square wave generator (lower voltages)
to see what sorts of turns ratio I need, I assume that the regular turns ratio
equation holds true for square wave, and that it's linear i.e. 5v in 10v out is
the same number of turns as 50v in for 100v out.

Anyway, thanks for the insight and confirmation on the transformer.   I'm sure
there is a way to make it "safe", I just need to find the right magic.

73,

Paul