Re: [Amps] High SWR

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] High SWR
From: "Gary Smith" <wa6fgi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 09:02:23 -0700
  From: Gary Schafer
  To: 'Scott McGrath' ; amps@contesting.com
  Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2009 9:26 AM

  Reflected power is not best expressed as reactive power. It is real power
  and it is not lost power just because it is reflected. when reflected power
  sees the matching network in the final amp or antenna tuner it then gets
  re-reflected back toward the antenna to be ultimately radiated along with
  the rest of the power. The only "lost power" is that due to the feed line
  loss on both the forward and reflected power.

  With ladder line the loss is normally very low and very little forward power
  is lost and very little reflected power is lost. There can be very high swr
  (high reflected power) on the line and most all of the reflected power will
  end up getting back to the antenna to be radiated by the antenna.

  Ladder line will not re_radiate reflected power any more than it will
  radiate forward power. If the line is well balanced it will not radiate
  either forward or reflected power that may be on it.

  73
  Gary  K4FMX