Re: [Amps] High SWR

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] High SWR
From: jmltinc@aol.com
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 13:15:09 -0400
Garry,

I am not sure if you said if your antenna was an HF or not; nor whether it was
a multiband or not.

Please don't confuse a W2DU bead balun (sometimes refered as a sleeve as the
beads slip over the ouside of the coax) with a true sleeve balun, which?is 1/4
wl metal conductor coaxially placed over the coax itself, and connected to the
braid at the 1/4 wl from the feed point (antenna).

An HF sleeve for a rotary beam is mechanically challenging. They are usually
used for 2 meters and above.??They are useful only at odd multiples of 1/4 wl.

For HF, a bead balun or a choke balun of several wraps (depending on lowest
frequency) of coax into a coil would be best.

-John, N9RF