[Amps] filament transformers

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] filament transformers
From: robert briggs <vk3zl@bigpond.com>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 23:03:41 +1000
You are right Carl...I have always had the roving eye at hamfests and
disposal stores..I once brought 5 new Jennings  vac variables, 5-500pf
for one dollar each at a disposals place...When I took them to the
counter and asked how much, the guy said $5 for the glass tubes....I
nearly ran all the way home...

It is a shame that a lot of the old arts of home brew are being lost
these days..I know that many think that they don't have the ability but
the fact for me has been necessity as many components are just not
available in VK and too expensive to import..I still have a shed full of
"treasures" which I have collected over the years and I regularly search
through forgotten boxes of heaven knows what and old chassis looking for
"that" part" to complete a project..
I remember my first 80 meter transmitter crystal controlled...I pulled
apart many old FT43 crystals and re ground them on a piece of glass with
some bath cleaner, a painstaking job that many hams much older than me
will remember well..That was about the time I started re winding old
transformers and have been doing it since...You have to be inventive
some of the time but I guess that is what gives us the satisfaction when
you put something together and bring it to life...

Ah well, I guess time moves on and things change....

73 all..Bob VK3ZL..