Re: [Amps] filament transformers

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] filament transformers
From: ToddRoberts2001@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 10:29:45 EDT
In a message dated 5/16/2009 4:53:45 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
vk3zl@bigpond.com writes:

What has happened to "roll your own" custom filament transformers? I
have never purchased a commercially made filament transformer after
building more than 40 amplifiers over 25 years....I still roll my
own...There are plenty of sources of suitable transformers including
older type video recorders small TV sets and a few other redundant
pieces of  old electronic equipment

Good points Bob. I wonder if folks know also you can still  buy all the
parts needed brand new
to build your own transformers  with using a little searching  around the
internet.
I have been working on a project to build my own filament  transformer and
some audio matching
transformers and have found online there
are still some suppliers of laminations and bobbins that will sell small
orders to an individual.

I recently bought about 45 lbs of EI-175 laminations and 20 matching  size
bobbins to play with. To a lamination supplier a 45 lb order is considered
small though! There are some good bargains in rolls of magnet wire to be
found  on eBay from time
to time. Also some sellers offer hand winding machines on eBay or one  can
build their own transformer winding jig from scratch. I found a  supplier of
mylar sheet to use as insulation between layers. So if one takes the  time
to look around you can still find all the parts needed to roll your  own
transformers from scratch using brand new parts if wanted.

It would not be very economical if you just need one  transformer but once
you have the parts gathered up and a transformer  winding jig built the cost
goes down very rapidly from there  If you  are planning to build more than
just one transformer over the years, plus you  can build them custom made
exactly to your needs. Like Bob mentioned it is also  possible to take apart
other transformers for the laminations and rewind them  for one-off projects.
It's a good learning experience also to re-learn the art  of winding a
transformer.

73 Todd WD4NGG

**************Recession-proof vacation ideas.  Find free things to do in
the U.S.