Re: [Amps] filament transformers

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] filament transformers
From: Paul Decker <kg7hf@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 19:17:33 +0000 (UTC)

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to thank everyone for their replies.   It seems the 14 or 15 Volt
version at 3A will work.   Actually, what I took away from the discussion is
it's not a big deal as long as the voltage is set right and the transformer can
supply the current.

Lots of discussion on rewinding my own.   the only problem I can see from that
is "modern technology"   Almost all of my junk box comes from recent
disassembles .   most of the power supplies are switch mode rather than linear,
so the days of big linear transformers declining, at least in my stash.

One suggestion was to use a microwave transformer as the base and rewind
secondaries as required.   I do actually have a microwave transformer that I'm
saving for just that purpose, but for a different project.

BTW, I did wind my HV transformer for this amp but wasn't brave enough to
attempt to add the filament winding at the same time.

in the end I'll probably go with a 14 V  4A transformer.    Pics of the amp
build should be starting to show up once  I get some sheet metal, hopefully
this week.

Thanks again,

Paul, kg7hf