Re: [Amps] Asynchronous coax matching transformer

To: Carl <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Asynchronous coax matching transformer
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 21:21:33 -0400

Carl wrote:
> UHF connectors have varying effects but for all pratical purposes show a
> 20dB or better return loss thru 222 mHz before climbing. Many versions do

20 db?  I've strung a whole series of connectors together and didn't get
half a db.  275 feet of coax (LMR 400) with connectors at the rig to
grounding panel/Polyphaser(2), cable to base of tower (2), bulkhead
connector, cable to top of tower (2),  grounded bulkhead connector,
pigtail to 2-way power divider(2), two cables from power divider to
antennas (2).  That's 12 connectors 15 if I count the so239s on the rig
and antennas.  The power reaching the antennas was only a few tenths of
a db less than that much cable without connectors.
> show RF heating due to poor quality insulation, even at HF.
>
> I refuse to buy imports and search out Amphenol, Kings, and other mil spec
> marked ones at hamfests, sometimes attached to a piece of junk coax.

I never use, used connectors or even reuse them except for the expensive
ones. Yes I do occasionally use imports, but I check the quality.  If I
get a batch that aren't up to par I pitch them rather than give them
away and have some one run into problems because they were trying to
save money.  That was one of the reasons I went to crimp connectors.

73

Roger (K8RI)

>>> 50 ohms ---- 90.0 deg. 75 ohm coax -----  0.0  deg 50 ohm coax -----