Re: [Amps] AL 1500 P.O. Meter Function

To: "'MICHAEL HUGHES'" <mhughes149@verizon.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL 1500 P.O. Meter Function
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 00:26:35 -0400

Based on the schematic of the amplifier, the PO function is
not a wattmeter but a simple capacitive voltage divider and
rectifier on the RF output.  A circuit like that has no
directivity and is easily confused by reflected power and
common mode currents on the feedline.

If you are concerned about accurate power measurements,
get a good wattmeter and use it in a matched circuit -
SWR = 1:1 - and use common mode chokes between the meter
and antenna.  A capacitive voltage divider/rectifier will
only provide accurate readings with no reflected power to
"boost" or "buck" the voltage in the line.  For example,
if the SWR is 2:1, "power" calculated by using a voltage
measurement can range from 25% to 400% of the actual
power depending on the distance to/from the antenna (load).

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV