[Amps] AL 1500 P.O. Meter Function

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] AL 1500 P.O. Meter Function
From: "MICHAEL HUGHES" <mhughes149@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 21:49:52 -0400
I need some help.  Upon receipt of my new AL 1500 I noticed that the Multi
Meter P.O. "Power Output" function indicated 1,100 watts output on 40 meters
and similar low output readings on 15 meters.  In all cases the load is a
Hygain Hytower with VSWR at 1.5"1 or less on the frequencies tested.  After
talking to the factory they had UPS pick up the amplifier and it along with the
tube were returned to Ameritron.  I was given priority as it is a new unit.  My
contact at Ameritron couldn't find anything wrong with the amplifier and
promptly returned it to me after asking question regarding my line voltage and
whether or not I may have had the ALC connected.  My drop is connected directly
to the electrical box, 12 gage wire and the AlC was not connected.  I asked the
Technician on more than one occasion regarding the P.O. Multimeter and the
accuracy of the Power Output and was assured that it was an accurate indication
of power output.

After receipt of the Amp it behaved exactly as it did when it left my home.
Over the weekend I inserted an additional piece of Coax, RG 8214, approximately
24' long in line with the antenna and the amplifier and got significantly
different numbers.  I was driving the amplifier in all cases with a FT 1000mp
Mark V Field with 50 watts indicated output power.

The P.O. Meter now indicated somewhere between 1,500 and 2,200 watts depending
on the band.  All were checked with the exception of 160 for which I have no
load at this time.

I also used a scope, TEK 2235 connected to my EWE antenna to monitor the
transmitted RF of both the driver and the amplifier.  Using these numbers I
extrapolated the gain in decibels, converted it to gain and multiplied the gain
by the driver power (50 watts).  Considering the drive, 50 watts the results
seemed reasonable, if not somewhat optimistic with power outputs approaching
1,500 to 1,800 watts.

My guess is that the power meter in the AL 1500 is really a "Relative Power
Output" meter, not a Power Meter.  The power meter reading should not be
dependant on where you place the meter in the transmission line, or at least I
would not think so.

I am not complaining about the amplifier, overall, I would make the purchase
again, based on cost/benefit.

My guess is that this is a RF sniffer circuit which is good enough for a tune
up process but not what I was expecting.

If it is truly a watt meter then there is another problem.

Thanking you in advance for your thoughts.

Mike,

KE9AG