Re: [Amps] B- questions

To: "Roy" <royanjoy@ncn.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] B- questions
From: "David H Craig" <davidhcraig@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 14:22:36 -0500
If your meter is in SERIES with the B- lead then all you are reading is
plate current.  This is how I meter my amps for plate current, and it
requires a dedicated meter.  On the other hand, if as you wrote:

    "So with a GG triode, a meter in the neg lead of the power supply filter
caps to chassis ground, reads only plate current and not any grid current,
right?"

    Then in this case your meter is in parallel with B- & ground and I
expect would read the sum of grid & plate currents.  After all, the only way
to measure grid current in a GG triode, short of a meter in series between
the tube grid
and chassis ground, is to measure between chassis ground & B-.  It also
doesn't
matter whether (for arguments sake anyway) B- is tapped at the filter caps,
FWB or cathode- it is still
a B- to ground connection based on what you wrote.  This is where the
"float" resistor value is important because in such a configuration it is a
shunt for the meter which it is in parallel with.  You also have to have a
calibration resistor with the parallel configuration.

Dave N3DB