Re: [Amps] Advice

To: ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Advice
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 13:49:49 -0500

Ron Youvan wrote:
>> With that given, if the tube (3CX-800) requires 19 CFM you *WILL* have
>> 0.50" of pressure at the socket. Conversely IF you have 0.50 inches at
>> the socket you will have 19 CFM. However if there is a down stream
>> restriction the pressure will rise and the flow will drop which would be
>> quite unusual. I'd not think this would be a normal situation, but when
>> designing an amp it is possible to not leave enough venting area for the
>> cooling to maintain proper flow.
>>

>    Not at all unusual at all, it takes is airborne lint to accumulate in the
> fins of the blower to
> reduce air flow, a few broadcast engineers have been known to log manometer
> readings down to the
> solder melting out of the anode fins.  (and tube destruction)
>    Designing and keeping are two different things.
>    I have removed so much lint and fuzz stuff from computers that live on the
> carpeted floors (at
> work) that I don't understand how they were operating.  (every 6 months)

I have been running 4 quad core, high performance computers with video
cards that draw over 300 watts and sound like a turbine starting up. I
have to vacuum the air intake filters about every 3 months. In the old
days I had one Intel machine shut down from over temp and found the
heatsink packed solid with fine dust. The computers set on the floor.
I've never had to clean any of the amps I've owned, but unlike the
computers I don't run them 24 X 7. Although with the new, high volume,
low speed 140 mm fans compared to the high speed, 80 and 90 mm fans dust
is not near the problem with the computers it used to be. I actually get
much more dust accumulating beside the computers than in them which
means a regular cleaning of the cabinets. I should admit that I don't do
as much programming or data manipulation so a couple of the computers
usually get shut down over night.

Yup! Mine are in a carpeted room as well.

73

Roger (K8RI)