Re: [Amps] Advice

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Advice
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 12:42:42 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 09:30:49 -0500, "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com> wrote:

>In other cases the spec was written for CCS worse case

REPLY:

I think I have to take issue with this statement. As I see it, the spec for max
temp on tube seals is absolute, based on the differential expansion rate of
metal vs either ceramic or glass. If you exceed it, even briefly, you are asking
for trouble. Doesn't matter if CCS or ICAS, go over the limit and the seal will
likely  break and leakage will follow. I understand the spec probably has a
little headroom in it, but if you don't know what it is, it's best not to guess
at it.

I am not a vacuum tube engineer, so this may be taken with a grain of salt if
desired, but it makes sense to me. Comments?

73, Bill W6WRT