Re: [Amps] Advice

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Advice
From: Ron Youvan <ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 14:02:59 +0000
> With that given, if the tube (3CX-800) requires 19 CFM you *WILL* have
> 0.50" of pressure at the socket. Conversely IF you have 0.50 inches at
> the socket you will have 19 CFM. However if there is a down stream
> restriction the pressure will rise and the flow will drop which would be
> quite unusual. I'd not think this would be a normal situation, but when
> designing an amp it is possible to not leave enough venting area for the
> cooling to maintain proper flow.

   Not at all unusual at all, it takes is airborne lint to accumulate in the
fins of the blower to
reduce air flow, a few broadcast engineers have been known to log manometer
readings down to the
solder melting out of the anode fins.  (and tube destruction)
   Designing and keeping are two different things.
   I have removed so much lint and fuzz stuff from computers that live on the
carpeted floors (at
work) that I don't understand how they were operating.  (every 6 months)
--
    Ron  KA4INM - The only real problem is death is so final.