Re: [Amps] OM power power supply design

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] OM power power supply design
From: Ron Youvan <ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 09:40:25 -0500
> Last night I came across these schematics from OM Power.

> They use 8 250v  windings, rectified, in series. Seems ingenious as
> that would lower the costs for the transformer, and it makes the use
> of toroidal cores an option.

   This design (old) has the advantages of using 1 kW diodes and 300 Volt
capacitors and
if a diode shorts and blows it's fuse, the remainder of the power supply keeps
operating
at the reduced Voltage.  The windings all need to be insulated for over 2 kV.
I don't see
where the transformer would be cheaper, every "Voltage level" would need to be
insulated.
"toroidal cores an option" ???  This design could be produced with 8 identical
transformers (or 4 with two windings each) of any style.

> What would be the drawbacks of copying such a design? Should each of
> the windings deliver the required current or should there be a safe
> margin?

   Users choice, the greater the Ampacity the lower the impedance and better
the load
regulation.
--
    Ron  KA4INM - I'm proud to be Chuck's pop!