Re: [Amps] OM power power supply design

To: <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>, <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] OM power power supply design
From: "Alex Eban" <alexeban@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 09:23:29 +0200
First, mine works for about 15 years and during this time burned out 2 BY130
diodes . Second, usually the secondaries are stacked above the primary
winding. So that the upper ones have more layers of insulation between
themselves and the core (also the primary).
Third, most transformers are tested today by Hypot at 2500 VAC, so that
actually they are tested at about our operating voltages.
Actually, the reliability should be better because this design eliminates
the bleeder resistors, since they are no longer needed to stabilize the no
load voltage.
And last, not least, the  dynamic impedance goes down, since, for every
capacitor the internal resistance of the winding is 8 times lower.
My transformer uses only 6 secondaries at 400V each and 6 450VDC capacitors
and it will probably outlive me!
Alex    4Z5KS