Re: [Amps] Re GS-35B hours..

To: Robert Briggs <vk3zl@bigpond.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Re GS-35B hours..
From: Jack Parker <vhfplus@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 08:20:08 -0800
One thing that users of external anode power tubes might consider is
filament voltage. My experience in commercial FM broadcast rigs is that
running a PA tube at it's rated filament voltage from day one is a
guaranteed way to shorten tube life.

After installing a new tube in a transmitter, and operating it for a few
days to a week at full rated filament voltage, I would watch transmitter
output power and reduce filament voltage until output power began to
decrease. At this "knee" I would increase filament voltage a couple of
tenths of a volt and operate the tube at that voltage, which generally was a
half a volt, or so, below the "rated" voltage. I experienced increases in
tube life of at least 50 percent based on comparisons to tube log records
when the tubes were installed and run at full voltage for the life of the
tube.

This procedure worked well with 4CX5,000 and 4CX10,000 tubes in Continental
FM transmitters. Determining whether this procedure is valid with a GS-35B
would be an interesting experiment but I would not be surprised if is
applicable to the Russian tube.

73,

Jack, W6NF