Re: [Amps] which HV connector to use?]

To: "Edward Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>, "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kirkby@onetel.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] which HV connector to use?]
From: "Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO" <w5wvo@cybermesa.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 21:34:56 -0700
I have a clear recollection of being told, years ago, that the ORIGINAL
design use model for the UHF connector series (PL-259/SO-239) was for
connecting high DC supply voltages between transmitter modules. This was
before Google, however., so I decided to do some checking.

Turns out there is absolutely no evidence that this tale has any truth to it
whatever. I could find no indication on any of a dozen different pages in
favor of this historical assertion. This is not to say it has never been
done before, mind you -- just that this application was not part of its
original design concept.

Here is a very good page, BTW, that covers the history and characdteristics,
in simple language and photos, of most of the RF connector series in use
today.

http://ecee.colorado.edu/~kuester/Coax/connchart.htm

Bill W5WVO