Re: [Amps] Massive transformer

To: "Gary Patterson" <gpatterson53@hotmail.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Massive transformer
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 15:17:12 -0500
I'll assume for the moment that transformer secondary has a center tap which
would make it a 2500VAC transformer in a FWCT rectifier. At that weight it
is at least a 500ma CCS rating and likely more. Go to one of the older
handbooks and look at the PS section. The key to getting the most out of
that iron is to select only the minimum choke inductance necessary (called
critical inductance) and followed by a big cap and as high a bleeder
resistance as the formulas require.

Using a choke with twice the current ratings of the transformer will
minimize the loss. Properly designed, a choke input filter will deliver over
90% of the power of a capacitive input filter. HV regulation will be
excellent.

Tuning the choke with a capacitor is another approach but the tuning can be
a bit tricky.

Carl
KM1H