Re: [Amps] Massive transformer

To: Robert Morris <robrk@nidhog.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Massive transformer
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 17:11:16 -0500

Robert Morris wrote:
> On 1/25/10 2:40 PM, Gary Patterson wrote:
>
>> I picked up a large maybe 70-80 pound transformer
>>

> Massive and 80 pounds in the same sentence ??
>
> If you can pick it up, it ain't big enough....

That had crossed my mind.  Back in Breckenridge, living in a new home
with lots of room and acres on which I could put up antennas I picked up
some surplus RF generators.  I'm sure I have some photos of the
generators and transformers around here...somewhere.  They were the
largest single phase transformers we had with 220 primary and 6600
center tapped secondary for 3300 and these thing would run about 4 amps
CCS. They were the only 220 single phase we had all the rest were 408 3
Phase.

I don't remember what they weighed now, but I do remember that you'd
never get one inside the PS compartment of a Henry console, or the
Collins 30-S1. By standing straddle of it I could lift it just enough to
lug it a few inches across the floor at a time. My guess would some
where between 300 and 400#.

I may have mentioned it before, but not recently. I brought two of the
things home on a little Chevy S-10 pickup.  We backed it in the garage
and set up a ramp to roll the generators off the pickup. With 4 good
size men along with ropes we were able to roll the first generator back
toward the ramp on the tailgate.  When they started rolling it back I
noticed the front bumper raise which I thought was all the motion going
on, but then I realized it wasn't coming back down.  I let out a yell
and jumped onto the bumper. One of the others joined me. It still wasn't
enough. That old pickup took the tip of the hood right to the garage
ceiling which of course gave those generators all the encouragement to
leave they needed. We bailed off the front and headed out the door
knowing what goes up must come down and I was hoping the frame was going
to be able to handle. As soon as the generator cleared the front DID
come down with a loud bang.  The pick up survived, but I now knew why
the steering felt strange on the way home. There was very little weight
on the front wheels.

Those generator cabinets were roughly 3'W X 3'D X 4' high (give or take)
and made of 1/8" steel with a solid center wall dividing the RF section
from the PS section that had one of those big transformers in it.  I'd
say the whole thing weighed over 1000#

Now that was "some iron".  W8WOJ used one in which to build up a
4-1000A.   BTW they even had two motor driven vacuum variables.  Don
used to say he might not have the most powerful amp, but he'd bet he had
one of the heaviest in use.

73

Roger (K8RI)